Tuesday 10 December 2019

a Christmas banner...


This Christmas I am taking part in the #simpleandsweetchristmaspouchswap on Instagram. For the swap you needed to make one pouch and up to two Christmassy extras. More about the pouch I made later, but here is the first of my extras.
 

I made this little Christmas decoration banner. I used some of the moda merriments fabrics I had left over from my escape and create blog project (read about this here). Since my partner didn’t want too traditional, I thought this was quite a good choice with the snowflakes. Since the colours were still abit traditional though, I tried to hand letter the ‘Merry Christmas’ in quite a modern style.
I hand stitched the letters with a coordinated thread colour, then added sparkle with some silver thread over the existing snowflakes.
 
 
Once I’d finished stitching, I placed my two fabrics right sides together and drew my banner shape. I stitched along the lines, leaving a turning gap, then trimmed excess bulk from the corners. I turned it out and gave it a good press before stitching closed the gap. I used the silver thread again to top stitch around the edge of the banner. I folded over the top and top stitched in place. I added a section of paper straw inside the fold to hold the banner and threaded some twine through for hanging tied with a little bow in the top, so my partner can either hang it straight up or re-tie it around something.
 
 
The banner needed one final detail though... a tassel. Since I didn’t have one and wanted it to match, I decided to make my own. Although I’m happy with the results, please remind me not to do this in future! If you would like to make your own, I've included the template for the lettering below.

 
This is one of my Q4 finishes for the finish-a-long challenge, read more about my list here.

Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment