Thursday 7 February 2019

Micky quilt


Since I made a quilt for Annie’s christening (read about this quilt here) I thought it was only right that I made a quilt for another friends baby who was born at similar time. I knew he wasn’t going to have a christening, so his first birthday seemed like the perfect opportunity. 
For Finlay’s quilt, I wanted fabric that would also be quite timeless so he wouldn’t grow out of it too fast. I was lucky to find this Micky material on sale at a local shop and it seemed like fate... After all what is more timeless than Disney's Micky mouse!
As I had left it a little late to start, I chose to do a simple square patchwork design. I did however choose to combine 3 of the fabrics, using the layout to make a pattern. I think this makes quite a striking design and am very pleased I decided to make it this way. I was quite surprised how quickly it came together, made easier by a lot of chain piecing. My mum was also very helpful and did quite a lot of pressing the seams for me.

 
I chose the grey fabric for the backing since it was darker than the other prints but included all of the colours. I also made the quilt to the width of the fabric to save me piecing the back. I chose to do simple straight line quilting, going diagonally across the squares. I only quilted every other square too to give the quilt a softer feel. I used the red print as the binding to frame both the front and back nicely.
 
 
 
The measurements I used to make this quilt are below if you would like to make your own:
 
finished quilt size is 40.5" x 58.5"
 
fabric A (white) cut 35 @  5"x5"
fabric B (blue) cut 58 @  5"x5"
fabrc C (red) cut 24 @ 5"x5" plus 2.5" strips for binding
 
I cut the binding strips first, taking advantage of using the full length of the fabric. Then cut the squares from the remaining fabric. I cut and joined at least 230" of binding just to be safe.
I used 1/4" seam allowances throughout my quilt.
 
 
It was a very dull and windy January day so the pictures aren’t great, but the quilt was happily received and that’s the thing that matters the most.
 
This quilt was a project for my Q1 finish-a-long, you can read more about this here!
 
Mx

1 comment:

  1. I love the Mickey! Congrats on the finish. On behalf of the FAL crew, thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete