Saturday 21 October 2023

Sew Hot Brand rep... Take two!

My second parcel for the Sew Hot brand reps arrived and this time I was sent a selection of fat quarters from the Swatch book fabrics by Kathy Doughty for Figo fabrics. 

It has been a year since I released the Bestla Quilt pattern, and it has been on my mind, especially because I decided it was about time I finished the matching cushion pattern. When the fabrics first arrived, making a Bestla cushion was an obvious choice. However there was a lot of fabric for just a cushion or two, so I couldn't resist making a small quilt.
I chose the baby size of the Bestla pattern. After making a few mock-ups, I decided to add a spectrum solids in 'optic white', to really brighten up the fabrics. I also needed to add a binding fabric from my stash. 

I cut out the quilt and the cushion at the same time, to make it quicker and easier for me. Also making sure I had enough to finish my projects. When the quilt top was finished, it was time to choose a backing fabric. As I am really trying to be more mindful of buying fabrics and trying to use what I have, I decided I would try to do a scrappy back using the pieces I had left over. It took a little time playing with the layout but I finally found a combination that I liked the look of and was big enough to baste. 
After basting it was time to quilt. I only do straight-line quilting with my walking foot. I couldn't fully decide on a pattern, so I did something very strange for memuch and made it up as I went along. I just kept adding lines as I went and was happy with how the design developed and turned out in the end.

I thought instead of just doing my cushion ahead of my week, I would make it in real-time during my week. I figured it would be a great opportunity to repeat my cushion in a weekend challenge so I did #bestlacushioninaweekend. It was a lot of fun to see how fast I could make it to cushion and secretly wanted to beat my time from last year... I did! My sewing has probably improved but I think mostly the time improvement came from the patchwork being less pieces and much simpler quilting. 
It was lovely to revisit the Bestla pattern and I am thrilled with my new quilt and cushion. I think the fabrics are a little too grown up for a baby quilt however, it will be a great size for use in my wheelchair, in the car and no doubt be stolen by my cheeky fur baby who has already proven it is the perfect size for her. 

Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment