Monday 6 May 2019

postage stamp quilt


 I took part in get your quilty wishes granted on Instagram and asked for fabric scraps to make a postage stamp quilt. It was amazing the response I had and received such a wonderful mixture of styles and prints. I used my time during the summer at my nanas caravan to trim all the scraps into 2.5” squares. My nana would take my trimmings to the bin, pick out all her favourites and stack them up for me. She also loved looking at everyone’s accounts and seeing where all the fabrics had come from.
I was originally planning to make this quilt for myself, and some different patchwork cushions for my nanas 80th birthday. However, she had shown such an interest in the project, I decided it would be perfect for her.

I did leave it a little late to fully commit to this idea, so I did have to put in long sewing hours to finish on time. She gets a bit cold on an evening while watching tv, so I figured a lap size would be more useful. Luckily because of the size and having everything already cut, it came together faster than I expected. Helped by the fact I was aiming for random so didn’t over think the layout and didn’t stress if my points weren’t perfect. I also had a little help from my sister, pressing seams and sorting fabrics.  

My nanas birthday was on the Thursday but insisted she wanted a party on the Saturday. We thought it would be a good idea to trick her slightly. There was enough fabric to complete the quilt and have spares for a couple of matching cushions. We decided we would give her a cushion on her birthday and then when she wasn’t expecting anything, surprise her with the quilt at the party. My sister has just started sewing and doing patchwork, so decided she would make the cushions since I’d done the quilt. She pieced both cushion fronts together but didn’t have time to actually complete the cushion cover. We came to the conclusion that I would have to make the back and binding to match the quilt, so that one cushion could be finished in time. She has however promised nana she will complete the other.

My nana was thrilled with her quilty gifts and the kindness of others that contributed. I am so pleased to be part of such a giving community online and think it’s a truly special thing for her to have.
 
  


The quilt and the 80th gift were both projects on my finish-a-long list and I'm pleased that I was able to combine them. You can check out my list and previous finish-a-long projects here.
 Mx


No comments:

Post a Comment