Tuesday 9 July 2019

Cotton + Steel cushion swap- what i made!

 
In may I decided I would host a swap for the first time. I had a little hiccup but overall it’s been a success. Although everyone has not yet received their cushions, I think everyone has enjoyed it.
 
My #cottonandsteelcushionswap partner was @made.in.hackney.by.karen and since she has received her parcel I thought I’d share what I made.

 
 
Firstly the cushion cover of course. I decided I’d make the front using half square triangles and after some encouragement on Instagram, I’d try to use as many prints as I could. I tried a few different layouts and played with where the colours were going but decided on this. Apparently it’s a barn raising design, although I didn’t know this at the time. It’s definitely not as random as I set out to do but because it’s me, that isn’t surprising. I decided to hand quilt it using black perle thread. I didn’t do anything too fancy since it was my first time doing proper hand quilting (previously I have only tried the kantha stitch on my liberty cushion) I used a quilting hoop this time which definitely made it feel different. I love cotton and steel salvages, they are such fun, So wanted to include one on the back. I chose this sewing themed one (from the add it up basics) and happily the cotton and steel words just fit too. I picked a pink sprinkle basic to match and the black add it up for binding.
 
 
I just love how all the different cotton and steel prints work together. Although it’s not what I would have made myself, I definitely would now. I’m quite proud of how it turned out including the hand quilting, which I was worried about. 



On to the extras and Karen had included a mushroom on her mosaic, so it was an obvious item to make. I looked through my stash and found these little people to go around the bottom. A selection of pink prints for the top and a nice blue for the underneath. I added hand stitched crosses and other details to finish it off nicely.
 
 
On to the extras and Karen had included a mushroom on her mosaic, so it was an obvious item to make. I looked through my stash and found these little people to go around the bottom. A selection of pink prints for the top and a nice blue for the underneath. I added hand stitched crosses and other details to finish it off nicely.
 
 
Next was a #speedyvinylpouches using the welsummer range. I thought a bit of Epp would be nice but opted to use larger hexies to make the most of the prints. I chose the smaller print from the range for the inside, sparkle vinyl and binding the same as the cushion. 
 
I also included a pack of cute sewing pins and made a basic card using a hunkydory sewing image, from a little book.
 
I was a little worried Karen wouldn’t like it but so pleased she does. I am told the cushion is in her sewing room chair and the mushroom will be joining her collection. 
 

Mx


No comments:

Post a Comment